Monday, October 8, 2012

Ttukboki or Tteokbokki~~떡볶이

Hi, All
Today, I want to introduce the best Ttukboki (or Tteokbokki) which is famous snack food in Korea. It is made by rice cake and Korea's traditional spicy source, Gochujang. You can easily find a places where you can eat Ttukboki. HOWEVER, I want to introduce a really good place.
I grew up in GuBanpo and there was a small snack food shop. Their business has been doing over 30 years I believe. Their famous dishes Zookksuk Ttukboki and Mixed dumpling (both are spicy)

The place doesn't look fancy and the building looks little bit nasty (because people who visite the place left their signs or memos one the wall) BUT, I guarantee their taste.

It's hard to find the place if you never been in Banpo. I give u an advice that do not bring your car.
I think I like to take subway when I go somewhere in Seoul. :)
So, take number 9 subway and get off at Banpo and exit number 3. just keep following the street until you see 7eleven. Then, cross the road in front of the 7eleven and you will be here.


Work through between two buildings and turn left at the end of the building.



This is the behind road the building when you make turn left. (you almost there, so lets keep walking!!)
I wish they do have English letter, too but unfortunately, it's all Korean.
So, remember this letter or keep following direction from my blog. :)
Can you see blue five letters on white signboard (a circle is colored by red)? It is written 애플하우스 (it is Apple house)



If you find the signboard, this is the entrance. The place is located in 2nd floor.


There can be a long line, then wait. A person who work here will give you a order paper (You can see it if you keep reading this post). Choose what you want to eat and give to a person with money (you have to pay it when you order it. I checked that they accept credit card, too. But, almost all people pay it by cash.) If there is no line, good !! take a seat and you will see same order paper on the table (if you can find it, ask a server)

So, let's see order paper.


Don't be panic. I know it's all Korean. You will be embarrassed if you can read Korean at all. So, I will help you here. The first column is menu, the second is price, the third column is how many you are gonna order it. 


I translate it until fish cake because these are main popular menus. 
Difference between Ttukboki and Zeuksuk Ttukboki is you will get Ttuboki with a dish 


(like this) and you will cook Zeuksuk Ttuboki


(like this) I ordered 2 Zeuksuk Ttuboki and I added 1 Ramen. A server brought a pan of menu that I ordered (rice cake, some vegetable, some fish cake, water, and spicy source (Gochujang). 
Each table has a portable gas stove. So, you can cook it. (It will be cooked within 5 min) When water starts boiling, stir all ingredient, especially source is under Ramen, so continu stirring until all spicy source have dissolved. Ramen will be soften while you stir the source which means time to eat !!! (oh don't forget to turn off the portable gas stove-if you never used it, ask a worker to turn off it)


(It is time to EAT !!!! )

My friend and I were eating mixed dumpling (I strongly recommend to try this one. This is their the most famous menu) when we wait Zeuksuk Ttuboki.


It is spicy but very crunch. If you have a chance to eat dumplings in Korea, you could feel totally different taste. If you never had a chance to eat, you are lucky !!!   :)  :) 

My friend was not stuffed, so we ordered a bowl of rice after we almost ate Zeuksuk Ttukboki. 
Why? we can make a fried spicy rice. 
When a server brings a bowl of rice, put rice (of course, without bowl, :-) ) and turn on the portable gas stove again. Then, it's time to stir it again with source. 

When a rice is well mixed with source, spread the rice all around pan surface and wait 30sec-1min and turn off the portable gas stove. 


(we left two pice of rice cake :) )

Tip for order 
If two people go there (two women), order 2 Zeuksuk Ttuboki + 1 adding Reamen + 1 set (4 pieces) of mixed dumpling.  (If you add a bowl of rice, I bet you will be stuffed) It depends on how much you can eat, and how many people go with you, but I just want to give a tip for people who visit here for the first time. 

The address is 978 Banpo-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul.  Tel 02-595-1629
Business hour: Mon to Sun 10:00 AM to 9:30 PM (But the last call will be 9:00)
You can also make to-go. (Idk if you can make to-go for ZeukSuk Ttuboki)

I wish you like this place !!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment